Past works on scale insects (Hemiptera: Coccoidea) from the Maltese Archipelago are reviewed. Based on the literatureand contemporary collections, a total of 93 species of scale insects belonging to 12 scale insect families are here reported(Aclerdidae 1 species; Asterolecaniidae 4; Coccidae 17; Diaspididae 46; Eriococcidae 5; Kermesidae 1; Margarodidae 1;Micrococcidae 1; Monophlebidae 2; Pseudoccocidae 11; Putoidae 2 and Rhizoecidae 2). Of these, 17 species representnew distribution records. Ten species are excluded from the scale insect fauna of the Maltese Islands. Of the 93 speciespresent, only 29 (31.18%) are probably indigenous and the rest (68.82%) represent established introductions from elsewhere.More than 65% of the indigenous species are typical Mediterranean in distribution, with a few species having amainly European chorotype. A quarter of the established aliens originate from Eurasia, followed by an East Asian/ Orientalcomponent (20.31%); European (14.06%); Neotropical (14.06%); cryptogenic (14.06%); African (7.81%) and Australasian(4.70%). Movement of live fruit trees and ornamental plants into the Maltese Archipelago from nearby countries isprobably the main route for entry of alien scale insects into the country. Some possible future introductions are discussed.
|Titolo:||The scale insects of the Maltese archipelago|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2014|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|