The shape of the coastline has endowed the city Augusta of a huge size natural harbour: The site was chosen in 728 a. C. by Greek colonists to found the city of Megara. The size of the bay, along with the ease of landing, have made the site difficult to defend: and so, after the destruction of the city of Megara by the nearby Syracuse, for centuries the place has never been the subject of significant human settlements, apart from the construction of small villages. In 1233 the Emperor Frederick II built a massive castle and begins the life of a new city, in his honuor called Augusta. Having long been a feudal town, in 1567 the city returns to the royal property, because its large natural harbour, difficult to defend, constitutes serious threat as a possible bridgehead for an invasion of the Kingdom of Sicily. The construction of new fortifications does not solve the problem due to the large size of the site and the lack of adequate economic resources, at least until the end of the seventeenth century. Precisely action taken in this period have particular influence on urban design with almost total reconstruction of the city to fit the new defensive needs.
|Titolo:||La difficile difesa di Augusta e del suo porto|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2017|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||4.1 Contributo in Atti di convegno|