This study investigates the potential of chitosan microspheres as delivery systems for the anticancer drug gemcitabine. The microspheres were obtained by spray- drying chitosan-gemcitabine solutions containing different amounts of the polyanion dextran sulphate. Morphological characterization by SEM and FIB analyses showed the presence of porous spherical particles having sizes ranging from about 1 to 5 μ m. Dextran sulphate improves the technological parameters of the systems by producing very high encapsulation efficiency (about 96%, w/w) and by influencing the in vitro release of gemcitabine. The immediate drug release observed in the system prepared without dextrane sulphate (complete drug release within 30 min) was somewhat reduced by the polyanion (immediate release of 70% (w/w) of the encapsulated drug within 30 min, and subsequent continued release of the remaining 30% of the drug for over 4 days). The anti-tumoral efficacy of the various formulations was tested in vitro on human lung cancer cells (A549) comparing the effects with those of the free drug or drug/dextran sulfate complex. The carriers improved the cytotoxic activity of the drug, particularly the formulation containing the lowest amount of dextran sulphate after 72 h incubation.
|Titolo:||Gemcitabine-loaded chitosan microspheres. Characterization and biological in vitro evaluation|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2011|
|Citazione:||Gemcitabine-loaded chitosan microspheres. Characterization and biological in vitro evaluation / VENTURA CA; CANNAVÀ C; STANCANELLI R; PAOLINO D; COSCO D; LA MANTIA A; PIGNATELLO R; TOMMASINI S. - In: BIOMEDICAL MICRODEVICES. - ISSN 1387-2176. - 13(2011), pp. 799-807.|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|