Objective. The aim of this study is to test the utility of HPV DNA testing in postmenopausal women with abnormal PAP smears and colposcopy unsatisfactory, in order to be subjected to estrogen therapy only those women with ASCUS, and positive HPV DNA testing. Materials and Methods. A sample of 87 women in postmenopausal for at least a year, with ASCUS cytology type, was subjected to HPV DNA testing and colposcopy. In a second time all patients underwent a cycle of local estrogen therapy after which they have repeated Papanicolaou smear, colposcopy and targeted biopsy where necessary. Results. In the initial stage, the HPV DNA test was negative in 69 cases out of 87 (79.3%) and positive in the remaining 18 cases (20.7%). After vaginal estrogen therapy in 74 cases (85%) the second Papanicolaou smear was normal, and colposcopy, proved satisfactory, was negative; in 13 cases (15%) however the second Papanicolaou smear was positive for HPV lesions and in particular in 10 cases it was LSIL (11.5%), in 2 cases AGUS (2.3%) and in 1 case HSIL (1.2%). These cytologic results have been confirmed by colposcopy, cytology, proved satisfactory and positive, and biopsies that have accompanied it. Conclusions. The results of our study suggest the possibility of subjecting the postmenopausal patients with ASCUS the PAP test directly to HPV DNA testing. This avoids subjecting each women in postmenopausal, with ASCUS, to estrogen therapy; subjecting only those women positive to HPV DNA tests. © Copyright 2012, CIC Edizioni Internazionali, Roma.
|Titolo:||L'HPV DNA test nelle donne in post-menopausa con citologia ASCUS|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2012|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|