We describe a case of Mandragora autumnalis poisoning which occurred in a 72-year-old female patient who had eaten the venenous M. Autumnalis, picked near her home, mistaking it for the edible Borago Officinalis. M. Autumnalis is a solanaceous plant, common in the Sicilian countryside, which contains a variable concentration of solanum alkaloids, causing gastrointestinal irritation, and tropane alkaloids, with anticholinergic properties. Unluckily, M. Autumnalis is often mistaken for the edible B. Officinalis, likewise widespread in Sicilian countryside. The diagnosis of Mandragora poisoning was made on the basis of clinical symptoms and signs of anticholinergic syndrome associated with a history of vegetable meal of uncontrolled origin, moreover analysing the vegetable obtained from gastric lavage. Decontamination and symptomatic treatment were useful in our patient to control acute poisoning.
|Titolo:||Anticholinergic syndrome due to 'Devil's herb': when risks come from the ancient time|
|Autori interni:||MONDATI, Enrico|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2006|
|Rivista:||INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PRACTICE|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|